The impossible club- Saved by the daughter..

The impossible club- Saved by the daughter.. 


 In my last narrative I had   Introduced you to The Impossible club. If you had not heard about the “Impossible” club then  it is not surprising. Only a handful know  about its existence and very few are its members. The members are by invitation only and that too after lot of scrutiny. Now you are one of the lucky few who know about the working of this club.
Today I am going to introduce you to very touching but unexplainable event that happened in the life of one of the members of our club. Mrs. Rajani Tamhane. Who is a managing director of a large construction company called  Rajani Construction and is also associated with various schools for girls which were started by her father.
As usual we met for our monthly meeting  in a farm house at the outskirts of Pune and  after various rounds of drinks and consuming the  delicious food ,the meeting was started.
As I explained in my last narrative the purpose of the club is to identify the stories which seem impossible on the face of it and try to find logical explanation for the event.  It is not necessary that the event should have taken place in the member’s own life but he should know it from his own reliable source and should not be an imaginary event. These are the basic rules of the club.

The president of the club who is a elected by members every 3 years  then announced that this night Mrs Rajani Tamhane would present her event and the stage was set for her narrative. Members sometimes use a powerpoint presentation to elaborate or stress upon a particular point . Mrs Rajani said she would be using some newspaper clippings and read from them to help us  understand the circumstances surrounding that event.

I have faithfully recorded that narration by Mrs. Rajani and I am reproducing the story here in her own words without any edit or addition.

Mrs. Rajani began ,
“ This story happened in my life and I remember it very vividly. People do not believe this ...but then ...I am living proof that it has happened.

I was only seven or eight years old. We were living in our ancestral bungalow in Pune in Deccan Gymkhana area. My father was an engineer in PWD ..a  government organisation responsible for building and maintaining infrastructure in India. He had to go on tour to remote parts of Maharashtra for inspection many times . On the fateful day also  he had gone to Ratnagiri district . Of course I was not aware of this at that time but I learnt it afterwards. It was rainy season and on that night rains were also expected in Pune. Our bungalow had very beautiful trees in our front and backyard. A wonderful mango tree in the backyard and a Chafa tree in the front side. ( A tree which produces very sweet smelling flowers . This tree is sometimes called as Temple tree.)I loved to collect these flowers very much and could be found collecting  flowers from ground at any time of day and sometimes in the night . My grandmother used to say that we should not touch trees in the night as they are sleeping . I used to take care of not touching trees in the night but still used to collect flowers fallen on the ground ….
“ I am not touching the tree grandma !” I used to argue.
On that night there was very fierce wind flowing causing all trees to sway this side and that side . One can hear frightening sounds like ….”Swooooo” all the time. We had closed all the doors and windows but still some loose window door could be heard slamming and making sound as if somebody has cracked a firecracker.
I still remember that sound of “ fatak ...fatak ….Faat”  Then suddenly there used to be bright light of lightning and then deafening sound of thunder.
I remember rushing to my mother and embracing her frightened tremendously. I slept with mother that night .  I was shaking with fear  all along.

Around midnight or something I suddenly woke up. The wind was continuing and lightning also was frequent. A bright light flashing through the window which must have opened by wind had awakened me. The first thought flashed through my childish mind was …
“ Oh my God ..all  the flowers of chapha would be blown away by this wind . ….I must collect them now. There is no time to loose. I must go out now. “
Normally I was afraid of going out in night but on that day ...I do not know how I got the courage to go out in night. I looked at mother and found that  she was sound asleep. I tiptoed out of bedroom and went to the front door ….and quietly opened it and stepped outside. Rain has stopped now but fierce wind was there. I went near my favourite Chapha tree and started collecting flowers from the ground in my flowing blue colour  nightgown. ...I may have been out there for about one or two minutes and suddenly there was a tremendous flash of lightning followed by loudest crack of thunder I had heard in my life. I dropped the flowers I had collected and ran inside the house. I do not remember whether I closed the door or not but I went straight to bed and leapt in the bed. My mother suddenly got up and sleepily took me in her arms and said ,
“ It is lightning ! do not be afraid. Go to sleep. “
I remembered going to sleep quickly . When I woke up in the morning,the  activity of the house was going on normally. Newspaper had come. Milkman had given milk and my grandma had just returned from her walk. Nobody said anything about outer door being open . Probably I must have closed it while coming back .
Looking back on the incident now I am not sure whether I really went out that night or it was a dream ,in which I went out and started collecting flowers.”
 Mrs. Rajani stopped here  in her narrative. There was pin drop silence in the hall. She drank some water from the glass kept on the table near which she was standing and talking to us. There were some whispers as some club members started talking in a low voices with one another.

“ Mrs. Rajani … In the introductory note given to the committee of the club you had said the incident happened to your father. … but it seems like your own experience. .” One committee member Mr. Kadam  commented.

“ Mr. Kadam have patience. I  have played a vital part in the incident ….but it surely is my father’s experience. “ Mrs. Rajani commented and opened a notebook she had brought with her. We could see some newspaper clippings were neatly pasted in it. She opened at a particular page and continued her narrative.

“  My father was a very meticulous person. The incidence which I am narrating was sent by him for publication in some newspapers and it was published and widely acclaimed. He had kept the cuttings of all in this notebook . This one which I am going to read to you was published in  in Times of India and is dated  July 19 of year 1980 .  After this incidence he left his job and decided to start his own construction company . Rajani Construction. He was immensely successful but he donated most of his wealth  for establishing schools for girls. Today he is no more but ...schools he started have grown today in to a wonderful institution. Here is the narration about this incidence  in his own words ….” Mrs. Rajani became very emotional and could not speak for some time. Then she collected herself and continued reading from the clipping….

“ Some incidences in life are not easy to forget . Such incidences sometimes change the path of your life completely. Till this incident happened I did not believe in God . I am a very logical person and believe that logic and science can explain everything. How wrong I was !
Some days back as a part of my job as Engineer with PWD I had gone to Ratnagiri to inspect construction work of some bridge near Ratnagiri . After finishing my work I returned to our guest house on the outskirts of Ratnagiri on the road towards Pawas. It was very beautiful site . Originally built by British, the small bungalow was a perfect house where you can really relax in the vicinity of nature and away from city. A real rest house !
This bunglow had two suites as they are normally called. Each suite had  one small  hall with one big sofa , a very nice teapoy ,two three chairs ,table and a bedroom attached to it. Each bedroom had its own very big bathroom with a tub for bath. The  the suite’s bedroom in which I was staying that night  had a very big window overlooking the road and the wonderful compound with various trees. I was always  very glad to see  that the guest house had a very beautiful Chapha tree in the compound. Just like what we had in our Pune bungalow.
 I always loved  this rest house and the Chapha  tree.Whenever I stayed there I  always thought of my daughter Rajani   and  how she would have instantly fallen in love with it. One of these days I should bring her here ....
When my driver parked  our Jeep in the compound it was already  about seven in the evening and  dark rain clouds had gathered all around. I was sure that  it would rain that night . My driver went to his room at the back of the guest house and I went to my suite. I was very tired and wanted to take hot bath. I announced to the attendant of the guest house that I would have a simple vegetarian dinner in about a hour.

By the time I finished my dinner It had started to rain heavily .  Heavy wind was blowing  and the attendant made it a point to close all the windows securely of my bedroom. There were constant lightning and cracking sound  followed bright lightning. I wondered how I would be able to sleep in this sound of wind and lightning.

I always used to keep an English novel with me when I go on tours like this as I was very fond of reading . Especially Perry Mason novels of Earl Stanley Gardner,or Stories of Sherlock Holmes.  I crept in bed with  a warm blanket and started  reading one that  I was carrying and I do not know when I went to sleep . I must have slept  immediately because I did not remember much of what I actually read out of that novel .

It must be around midnight ...I was not sure ...It felt like that….. But a loud crack of thunder and bright light awakened me suddenly. Chilli wind was  flowing through the window. It sent shivers through my body  and I sleepily wondered how the window door was open when I distinctly remember the attendant securely closing it. I tightly secured my blanket around my body and  tried to go back to sleep . I should close that window …..I drowsily thought . The sound of wind and thunder was too much . After vainly trying to sleep for some time ,I reluctantly decided that I should get up and close the door to the window which had somehow opened and … was constantly banging on the window. Too much wind ...The bolt of the window door must have come out ...I should tell the attendant tomorrow to repair it ….I was thinking of such things when I got out of the bed and tightened  the night gown around me. I drowsily went towards the window and was about to close the window door when there was a bright lightning  followed by deafening crack of thunder. I looked out of window and I could clearly see as if it was a daylight the Chapha tree in the compound .
As if by shock I  was suddenly wide awake ...I could not believe what my eyes were seeing ! How can that be ? My daughter Rajani was outside under that tree and she was collecting flowers in her nightgown ! I distinctly remember till today the blue colour of that gown with white colour flowers on it. She always used to like that gown and insisted in sleeping in it.

But how is that possible ? had she and her mother came to Ratnagiri in the night and were  staying in the other suite ? But why they did not  woke me up  ? Did they wanted to keep it as a surprise for tomorrow morning ?
 I was completely perplexed .But this is crazy. Collecting flowers in such rains and wind ? has she gone crazy ? Or is she  sleepwalking? I immediately opened the door of my bedroom and through hall went to the main door of the guesthouse. It was securely closed from inside. Rajani must have gone out from back door ,I thought !  I opened the main door  angrily. I was going to spank Rajani immediately for such foolishness.

I went out in the rain ….shouting” Rajani …. Rajani ….Come inside immediately…..what is this you are doing ? ….Come inside immediately.”

I remember virtually running towards her ...without bothering that I was completely drenched in the rain. In a hurry to come out I was not wearing chappals also. I was vaguely aware of splashing sound of my feet as I went towards Rajani.  I went towards the Chapha tree under which I had seen her. Now the light from the lightning was not there and there was pitch darkness.
I should have carried a torch. I thought to myself.

I knew I must have reached the spot under the tree where I had seen Rajani ….I turned around the spot trying to get hold of Rajani in the darkness. My hand found nothing.
….just emptiness. I found nothing but emptiness.

“ Rajani ….Rajani ….Where are you ? come here immediately !” I shouted ….Terrified myself now . Where she  could  have gone ?

Suddenly there was very bright lightning . It was so bright that I thought this must be the brightest of one I had seen in my life . It followed by loud crack of thunder and as was looking at the bright line of lightning ….it struck the guest house. On the spot of the bed room I was sleeping few moments ago.
I involuntarily closed my eyes and covered my ears ….trying to shield my eyes and ears ….
What a light ! what sound!

It took me sometime to recover myself.  I was wide awake now and realised with certainty that Rajani was not there. She could not have come here. Somehow her image was seen by me and that had brought me outside the guesthouse in time.
The area where the lightning had struck had caught fire. That part of building had collapsed. I could see that in the light of the fire. Fortunately the attendant and my driver were at the back of the guesthouse and were not affected. They had also come out of the guesthouse running and were looking in a dazed manner at the collapsed building and fire. They were totally surprised to see me outside the building and safe and sound .
“Sir how did you come out of the building ?” My driver asked in surprise.
I mumbled something . I do not remember what I said !
To make sure I asked the attendant whether my family had come in the night without my knowing. He replied in the negative and looked at me in a manner that showed that he thought I had gone mad because of this incident .
I was the one who was first to take some action after this due to  my training in fire prevention . I found a fire extinguisher and  I tried to douse the fire.
It was in vain. The fire was too much for a small fire extinguisher.
The next two three hours  are still like a vague dream to me. Lot of things happened.The fire brigade truck came ….The fire was put out. Lot of people had gathered and were looking at the damage of the building and looking at me wondering as to how I was still alive!... But  till now I am unable to tell  coherently  all that happened in those three hours.
I remember going to my Jeep and sitting inside to shield myself from rains. I was shivering. Cold...fear ...and relief.
I was saved. I am alive. I am alive. I was also thanking God that my driver and the attendant were also safe.
I was repeatedly saying this to myself. I am alive ...I am safe ….
 I remember reciting Ramraksha and shivering uncontrollably. My driver brought one blanket from somewhere,and  I thankfully engulfed it around me.

When we started back to Pune after three four hours ..I really started to think logically as to what really happened.  I have tried hard to give some logical explanation to the chain of  events that saved my life.
The wind opening the window door. ….The lightning that showed clear image of my daughter collecting flowers…..the vivid image of her blue nightgown which she in fact was wearing that night ...as I came to know afterwards….. My running out of the guest house towards my daughter….

Try hard as I may ….I could not  arrive at  any logical explanation.  I had to reluctantly admit that it was God’s wish to save me ...and I was saved.

I had to admit that somehow my daughter had been chosen as an instrument by the almighty to drag me outside the guesthouse  just minutes before the lightning struck the bedroom I was sleeping. Why I was chosen I do not know ….only time will tell the reason.
But one thing is certain ….There must be some reason.
I sometimes jokingly wonder whether my favorite character  Mr. Perry Mason would be able to solve this mystery. I am sure he would just shrug his shoulders and say ,
“ I love mystery Della ...but some mysteries should remain as mystery….and this is one of them ..”
Or perhaps Sherlock Holmes ?
I am sure Sherlock Holmes would say “It's elementary … my dear Watson ...It is will of God. “

……….
Here Mrs. Rajani Tamhane  completed reading her father’s  account of the extraordinary event that  he had experienced.

She closed the notebook . Looked at the gathering and asked this simple question
“ So what do you think friends? .. Was I teleported there somehow and brought back again to my house without my knowing ? Like they do in English serial Star Trek? ”
The gathering was silent for full one minute and then … somebody very silently said
“  Whatever it was …. Your father was saved by his  daughter! ”
 And there was thunderous applause.  !

**********************************************************************

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

आनंदाचे झाड .

नखरेल नयना आणि तिचा प्रताप ..

जगावे का मरावे ?